Monday, April 28, 2014

Mari | Celeste

Mari | Celeste is a short film that is directed by Jessie Hill, a former fashion designer and now an accomplished music video director who is making her scripted film movie debut. Jessie was fortunate enough to snag Gale Harold (Queer as Folk) to be a part of this effort as he plays the role of Mari's controlling, narcissistic, and mercurial boyfriend Jeremy. Mari, who is played by Mishel Prada , has become inconsequential in her own life as she has lost sight of her own identity. She is slowly becoming the mirror of what Jeremy's idea of perfection is and to deal with it she starts to drown herself in prescription medication. Leah Briese plays the role of Celeste, Mari's estranged childhood best friend who has recently been evicted by her sleazy landlord (Elmo Lovano). Seemingly both down on their luck, Celeste decides to reach out to Mari and proceeds to drag her off on a road trip so that the two of them can get away for a bit.

The only reason why I know anything about this film is because I met the crew while they were on a road trip themselves as they were making this short.  We were all at a show of a local band here in Austin, Texas and I remember going up to Leah, as they were eating from a rather questionable food trailer, and asking her if she had tried the "cum" sauce. And no I don't always start off conversations that way, this was actually a real item on their menu. Thankfully she didn't slap me, instead she laughed and eventually invited me to come see them shoot a party scene for this movie the next day. I think she thought that she was still in L.A. and didn't realize that if you tell someone in Austin that there is a party with free alcohol, we will be there on time and screaming about free potato chips!

Anyway, the fact that this crew was traveling together I think will help them capture the true spirit of the road trip that Mari and Celeste were on. When you are basically experiencing what the characters in your story are going through, it cant help but add some level of authenticity to the film. And I think that this will do wonders for it as they shoot to have this completed by September 1, just in time for the Sundance film festival. It also helps that Mishel and her seductive eyes will keep you glued to the screen; and that Leah's natural beauty and spirit can convince both men and women to follow her anywhere. Where are we going? The borders of Mexico? Done! Who cares that there's an 80% chance I'll end up in a barrel.

At first I wasn't a fan of the film's title, I thought it sounded too hipster and that people would immediately forget it. But now I understand why they went this route. With a title like this, it instantly draws art house studios to it because it sounds like there's a ton of fog and subtitles in it. Do yourself a favor and check this out when it comes to a festival near you.

Check out their page https://www.facebook.com/MARICELESTEFILM

2 comments:

  1. Hi. Thanks for this! Can I ask when they were filming, and if Gale was there? I actually like the title and the lead actresses look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it was December when I ran into them. And no, sadly Gale wasn't with them. Leah and Mishel were suitable replacements however. :)

    ReplyDelete